Thursday, August 19, 2004

The Family Series

I am starting to realize that there's a segment of my life that I tend not to discuss too often so I'm gonna force myself to do it :-D

The truth is I don't spend a lot of time talking about my family. Mostly because I've never been a "family woman". As i've started to move towards planning this wedding (yes, i know it's a year and a half away), I'm starting to realize just how important family is to me.

I realize that the family environment that you come from greatly influences who you will be in your family. It determines how you treat your chosen mate, and what role you will play in your family. I realize that brooks' family situation will ultimately determine the type of father he will be. I watch how he interacts with his brother and i am in awe. The compassion, love, and leadership he shows makes me realize just what a wonderful father he will be. I can honestly say that i have never met someone who is able to be so in control and strong.

In many ways, he's very different from my dad. I was always told that women tend to gravitate towards men that are like their fathers. My dad is the silent type. Not much of a talker and in all honesty, not the main decision maker in my family. I like to think that he just prefers to pick his battles. My dad is stubborn as all hell (that's where i get it from) and his temper is RIDICULOUS (i get that from him too). He genuinely has the heart of a saint and has always been there his children and grandchildren. For every dance recital my ungraceful ass had, he was there. For every softball/basketball game i screwed up for my team, he was there. I can honestly say that there is only one time in my life that my father was not there for me. He was in the hospital having surgery to remove a brain tumor. Needless to say i don't hold that against him.

Although i often claim the title, i really was never "daddy's little girl". We're too much alike for that. Our relationship used to be extremely volatile and still is to a degree. But i love him just the same. I learned alot about what a man is supposed to be from him. He has always been there for my siblings and i and was always respectful and loving towards my mother. Although they have their arguments the love they share is so real and so pure. They have been together for like 48 years and i am amazed to watch how much they still adore one another.

I look at how not having a father present has affected many people i know. Some for better and some for worse, but i definitely see the effects. My father is a truly amazing man and i am blessed to have him.