Thursday, August 28, 2003


Day 2/I almost died tonight

I was planning on coming home and writing about how uneventful today was, no real hunger, got some water, etc... but umm it ain't quite go down that way...


So I'm waiting outside for Brooks to pick me up in front of my school... not a bad neighborhood but not the best either - either way i'm a city girl so i'm always watching my back. So, I see this guy jogging up the street... I didn't really think much of it because there are a lot of buses, cabs etc around there and i figured he was trying to catch one of those. As he jogs past he says hello to me and I nod. He keeps going for about 20 more feet and then he stops and starts yelling in the middle of the street. Once again I didn't think anything of it. I assumed he had missed whatever he was running after and that he was on his cell phone complaining. The whole time i'm trying to look preoccupied but still looking at him out the corner of my eye.

The next thing i know the guy stands in the middle of the street with his back to traffic, with his arms out. Sort of like Jesus on the cross. Then he turns and starts walking towards me. Since I'm right in front of my school, I make sure that i can get in there if i need to. But he just walks up and asks me if i saw what just happened. i nod and tried to ignore him like i do most "crazy" people. So he hands me his card (from Up Against the Wall) and tells me to call him anytime God makes me feel like he just did. At this point i'm pissed because I'm thinking this guy is using God as a pickup line.

About 100 feet from where i am there is a couple parked in a Tahoe or some big truck. The guy walks up to the truck and demands that they get out of the car and acknowledge what God has done. They get out and he proceeds to yell at them. At this point i called the police and said, "There is a guy at this intersection, pulling folks out of their cars. You need to send someone." They take a description and say they're sending someone :-\

At this point i will mention that about 1000 feet in the other direction, someone had previously called the cops and there were two cop cars right there.

The man hops in the truck and starts driving up the street. I get as far back on the sidewalk as possible so that he can't jump the curb and run me over too easily. Instead he drives past and smiles, honks the horn, and waves. He then drives up to where the police cars are, gets out of the truck and into one of them... He comes back down the street towards me, waving a gun out the window and asks me, "what should i do now?"

I'm like you need to do what God says is right and keep driving down the street. He goes swerving off down the street. At this point i run back to my school, which by this time is closing down, lights out, everything. There's a police officer on duty in there and he happens to be coming down the steps. He tries to act like he's not gonna let me in, so I bang on the door harder. FINALLY he lets me in and asks what's wrong... I tell him, there's a crazy man out there in a suit, he just drove up the street in a truck and back down in a police car... he's been yelling in the street for the last 10 minutes. This ASSHOLE hits me with (and i quote) "If he's driving a police car he must be a police officer" At that point i refuse to leave the building while he goes out to investigate...

NOW the police that were parked up the street realize that someone has taken one of their cars and they come running down the street to get it because by this time, the man has gotten back out and left it in the middle of the intersection. So then the cop drives back up the street...


Brooks pulls up and as i get into the car, i see the guy on the hood of the police car being arrested...


At the time I was so pissed at him for taking so long but i realized, had he driven up any sooner, things might not have ended like they did. Suddenly not eating wasn't a big deal...


I am so thankful for the friends and family i have and especially for those people that have touched me in a special way.