Friday, May 10, 2002


So I went to this show last night, and I was having the time of my life and things were going generally well. No 6'8" person had stood in front of me, no obnoxious drunks were spilling beer on me, my ex and my current boyfriend were getting along, it was great...
UNTIL
I'm not sure when the makeup of the crowd changed or when shit just went wrong but all of a sudden these kids (and I call them kids because they had the big NO DRINKING X on their hands) start acting a fool. Now I guess one of their grownup friends was sneaking them alcohol or something because they were obviously drunk. So all of a sudden they start doing the whole pushing thing. Which was cool at first because they were confined to their little kiddie area but of course it started to spill over and things start to escalate.

So the kids start yelling about how they're repping "Harlem World" and how no one can fuck with them. Now first and foremost let me explain some things. First of all, we're in DC. Second of all, of all the places I've been to in NY, Harlem doesn't particularly impress me. Third of all, this is a Kweli concert... you know conscious, thought-provoking, etc. The song that they were pushing each other to was Halftime by Nas who, Oh by the way, is from Queens. So these kids are repping Harlem to a song by a cat from Queens at a concert with a headliner that speaks out against these same ignorant assholes. On top of this, my man is really not the tolerant type so he's getting frustrated espeecially since he's from NY and not particularly impressed with Harlem either especially since it's pretty obvious that most of these kids wouldn't dare pull this shit in "Harlem World BABY".

Needless to say that pretty much put a damper on my night, but I still managed to have fun. I ran into quite a few folks that I know and of course I got to see one of my fave rappers. Hopefully this weekend will be somewhat productive, I have a lot of stuff to do and not a lot of time to do it...