Wednesday, January 14, 2004


...


So in the past week, everyone that lives in my apt has expressed a desire to move out. All of us. Oh and the common denominator (c) Farnsworth is little old me. Yep.

To a certain degree it pisses me off. I know that I try my damndest to make people happy... sure I'll buy a tv for the house and not watch it, sure I'll cook for everyone, sure I'll have an open door policy to my room and it's contents, sure i'll do the grocery shopping for the house... I go out of my way to try to make sure that no one feels left out. I harrass everyone equally, i annoy any and everyone... and usually i take a great deal of abuse for it.

My friendship with Leena has made me keenly aware of how many times i ask someone to hand me that, pass that to me, get up and get such and such. So, I have honestly been making an effort to try not to be like that. No one sweeps, so i'll do it. Will i make a smart comment about it? Probably, but I mean damn, how many times must I do something before someone steps up and volunteers to help? I don't do these things for recognition. I do them, against the advice of others, to make sure that everyone is happy... and I don't ask for much in return... except respect.

I grew up in a chauvanistic household where it was made clear that as a woman, my opinion didn't matter. My all girls high school was the best thing that ever happened to me. I learned that women were not to be seen and not heard, and that it was ok to express myself and what i thought. I also learned that most men hate that. As a result, I don't back down from disagreements, I've even been told that's why i spent two years getting my ass beat in a dysfunctional relationship (insert sarcastic smirk here). Thing is, when I disagree or "argue" I do it in a respectful way. I try to stay level headed and rational (seeing as that's what I want to do for a living) but most ppl just go for the quickest way to inflict pain.

All i have ever asked for is respect. No more no less, the extra stuff i do is done because i want to. I prefer it because it helps to keep my mind active. But I guess Brooks was right... I'm a very difficult person to live with. I guess I really will be that old lady with 50 cats and dogs running around the house.